About Me - Iain D. Williams
I have been involved in surface and underwater photography for several years, changing from film to digital in 2004.
Initially completing a Certificate in Photography at Seven Hills College of Art, I pursued a career elsewhere and worked for several years in the Ambulance Service, military and operating a SCUBA diving business. During this time I completed qualifications to teach SCUBA diving and to teach advanced first aid.
In the late 1990's, I decided to return to University and complete a Bachelor of Science Degree with First Class Honours majoring in paleontology. During this time, photography remained a strong interest.
With formal qualifications in science and photography, I have developed a unique perspective on the environment; the ability to see nature, the environment and wildlife through an artistic eye, with the knowledge to understand the science behind the scene.
As the world becomes more developed, and regions of natural beauty become smaller in size, nature photography becomes an important key in securing a tangible link between us and wild places, which in turn may increase awareness for the need to conserve wild places and their inhabitants.
Predominately concentrating on photographing non-captive wildlife I strive to document animal behaviour and to produce photographs that convey a sense of meaning and purpose. For me, photography of the natural world is more than just pretty landscapes and cuddly animal photos. It's a concern for the environment and the earth that all living creatures must share.
Equipment and Processing
I use Canon professional grade cameras and lenses, and all digital images are shot in RAW format at an extremely high resolution. In most cases, what you see in the final product is what I saw through the lens. I do very little digital modification during processing. I do not add and subtract objects from the image using computer software.
It's important to realize that images viewed on the Internet pale in comparison to an actual photographic print. Subtle details and nuances of colour are impossible to convey in a low-resolution web image. For my underwater work, I use Subal underwater housings and Inon strobes.
- National Parks and Wildlife Service, Australia
- Royal Ontario Museum, Canada
- Thomson Reuters (Reuters Group Limited)
- Canadian Bureau of Land Management
- Save the Tasmanian Devil Programme (Tasmania State Government, Australia)
- Monash University (Melbourne, Australia)
- University of Tasmania (Australia)
- The Courier Mail Newspaper (Brisbane, Australia)
- The Vancouver Sun Newspaper (Canada)
- REX Aviation In-Flight magazine
- National Wildlife Federation, USA
- Royal Automobile Association of Tasmania (RACT) - Journals magazine
- Various private purchases
Awards & Mentions
- Best of Photojournalism 2010, National Press Photographers Association - Honourable Mention (link)
- PGB Photographers Award 2010 - Nature Picture of the Year 2010 (link, link)
- China International Photo Contest (CHIPP) 2010 - First Place Environmental Category - Gold Prize
I am available for assignment / contracting work in most commercial fields. I'm also available to provide instruction in photographic technique and to lead/co-lead photographic workshops.
Please use the contact form if you wish to contact me.
- Member of the North American Nature Photographers Association (NANPA).
- Member of Canon Professional Services (CPS)
View my Linkedin Professional Profile here http://www.linkedin.com/in/iainwilliams